EighthRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a question of opinion on the evolution of the armed services

4 posters

Go down

a question of opinion on the evolution of the armed services Empty a question of opinion on the evolution of the armed services

Post by fire_elf20 Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:40 pm

hey i have a question that will affect my book whichever way i decide... so in your opinions: when humanity reaches the point where war in space is possible which branch of the military will be primary? army navy ect.. the issue im having is this the Navy. is defined as an organization of military vessels belonging to a country and available for sea warfare. so would the navy evolve into a space navy as is a popular idea (ie halo) and several other sci fi examples could be listed. or would the army or marines be more of the staple here?
any feedback is good feedback
fire_elf20
fire_elf20
Admin

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Character sheet
Fantasy:
Sci-fi:
Wild:

Back to top Go down

a question of opinion on the evolution of the armed services Empty Re: a question of opinion on the evolution of the armed services

Post by JadeTrickster Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:18 am

I think it would be the Navy. Because in space(I'm assuming artificial gravity), you would need people to press buttons, not break down doors.
JadeTrickster
JadeTrickster
Council Trickster
Council Trickster

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Character sheet
Fantasy:
Sci-fi:
Wild:

Back to top Go down

a question of opinion on the evolution of the armed services Empty Re: a question of opinion on the evolution of the armed services

Post by Faclan Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:48 pm

I'll have to agree with Jade that the navy would be the ones most advanced. The army would still be big, but they would be on the ships to be ground troops, not flying the ships and commanding the missions.
Faclan
Faclan
Council ShadowStalker
Council ShadowStalker

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Character sheet
Fantasy:
Sci-fi:
Wild:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Throngmir Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:25 pm

Statement: I must disagree. Clarification: Your average naval vessel these days is very large, and coupled with the types of weapons being developed, are just great big targets. The more likely scenario would be that the majority of spacecraft would develop as small craft similar to the jet, but obviously of a different propulsion type.
Statement: The possiblities of vacuum warfare are one I will need to go into. Query: are you including laser and energy weaponry as a possible development, should fusion be successfully attained and applicable in these scenarios?
Lord Throngmir
Lord Throngmir
Noob

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Character sheet
Fantasy:
Sci-fi:
Wild:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum